Our Geography curriculum is designed to develop children’s curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Children investigate a range of places – both in Britain and abroad – to help develop their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes. We are committed to providing children with opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their local area so that they can develop of real sense of who they are, their heritage and what makes our local area unique and special. We also developing the children’s ability to apply geographical skills to enable them to confidently communicate their findings and geographical understanding.
Through high quality teaching, we develop the following essential characteristics of geographers:
- An excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like, both in Britain and the wider world
- A comprehensive understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected
- An extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary;
- Excellent fieldwork skills as well as other geographical aptitudes and techniques;
- The ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current issues in society and the environment;
- A genuine interest in the subject and a real sense of curiosity about the world and the people who live here.
As part of this planning process, teachers plan the following:
- A knowledge organiser which outlines knowledge (including vocabulary) all children must master and apply in lessons;
- A cycle of lessons for each subject, which carefully plans for progression and depth concentrating on the geographical skills suited to the age group;
- A low stakes quiz which is tested regularly to support learners’ ability to block learning and increase space in the working memory;
- Trips and visiting experts who will enhance the learning experience
In addition, the Geography curriculum underpins the study of History and RE so that pupils have the prerequisites of place to learn new content about the world. Click below to see our whole school overview: